Author Topic: Farewell ZDC  (Read 389 times)

Rick Rump

• Wears Too Many Hats
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts A Lot
  • VATUSA13
    • View Profile
  • vatsimid: 1053581
Farewell ZDC
« on: September 02, 2018, 03:47:58 pm »
Well this day was going to come eventually one way or another. I first joined ZDC on September 27th 2011 (Almost 7 years ago) and fell in love with the group of controllers and the airspace. A short time after earning my S3 in the middle of 2012 I decided to join the training staff as a mentor and soon after earning my C1 I came on board as an Instructor and the facility's webmaster. When Ryan Geckler became ATM I assumed the duties as Training Administrator at ZDC and served in that role for a little over a year before becoming DATM and then since April 2015 as your Air Traffic Manager.

In the last five years we have seen the facility go through a roller coaster to match that of the trajectory VATUSA itself has taken. We have endured staff shake-ups, airspace redesigns/new procedures (hello Metroplex!), and seen the facility become stable and continuing its growth but also maintaining our high standards. This is not something we could not have achieved with the buy-in from all of you and the dedication of our wonderful training staff.

Today marked my final day as the ATM of ZDC, I recently accepted the position of Deputy Training Director (VATUSA13) where I will be managing various projects on standardization and on-going efforts to improve controller quality. I will be still be around as ZDC will be my "home" facility (Even though I will be showing up on the roster as a Visitor).

We have initiated our succession plan that was put in place in June, Aaron will be the acting ATM until a replacement is named. I will continue to host and pay for the ZDC server until the end of October, after which things may shift (Especially in light of a new site due out by year's end). Whoever my replacement is, I want each of you to welcome them into the position and give them the respect you gave me.

I want everyone here to continue to do what we have done over these past few years and then some. Build this place to leave it better than when you started on this journey.

All the best,
-RR
Deputy Director of Training, VATUSA
Former ATM, vZDC

Tim Evans

• New Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell ZDC
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 06:06:44 pm »
Rick,

It's been a pleasure working along your side. Thanks for all the critique and lessons learned to make me a better controller. Good luck and happy trails in your new adventure.
ZDC Controller

Samuel Fitzgerald

• ZDC Training Staff
  • New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 06:40:59 pm »
Thanks for everything Rick and congrats on the new position! Hope to still see you around!
ZDC Controller

Jared West

• Mentor
  • ZDC Training Staff
  • New Poster
    • View Profile
  • vatsimid: 1350061
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 08:27:53 pm »
Rick-

CONGRATS on the new role.  Thanks for all of your trust, patience, and willingness to share your passion for flightsim with the group.  I am glad that ZDC will still be your "home" ARTCC and look forward to seeing you still pop in on the TS from time to time.

Thanks again
ZDC Facilities Engineer

Raymond Salvagnini

• Administrator
  • New Poster
  • Air Traffic Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 12:39:12 pm »
 :'( :'( we’ll miss you Rick!
Air Traffic Manager
Virtual Washington ARTCC
www.vzdc.org
atm@vzdc.org

Robert Shearman Jr

• New Poster
  • Still new, after all these years...
    • View Profile
  • vatsimid: 1155655
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 12:44:12 pm »
Congratulations, Rick, and best wishes in your new role!  I'm sure you won't be a stranger to us from here forward.
Cheers,
-R.

VATSTAR.com Chief Flight Instructor
P1-P5 Pilot, vZDC S2 Controller
twitch.tv/slantalphaadventures

Junzhe Yan

• New Poster
    • View Profile
  • vatsimid: 1340265
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 02:59:31 pm »
Congratulations on your promotion Rick! Even though I was a troll in my early days in ZDC, probably I'm still one, but still, thank you for those you have done for this awesome facility. ZDC has been my home facility since I joined VATSIM, and I learned a lot from here. I'm looking forward to seeing you lead the whole VATUSA and make it great!
ZDC Controller

Chris Priest

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 07:18:49 pm »
Rick,
Congratulations on the new role and as one of the new guys, I can appreciate what you have done with the team.   Glad you will still be around and best wishes
Chris
ZDC Controller

Charles Mingroni

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 08:11:53 am »
Congratulations and thank you, sir.
ZDC Controller

Rick Rump

• Wears Too Many Hats
  • Global Moderator